Was the Government At-Home Tests Distribution Program a Huge Waste of Resources?

 

The other day, I was feeling a little sniffley, so I decided to crack open one of the at-home COVID-19 test kits the government has sent me over the last couple of years. There was a time there where they'd periodically send you four kits (two tests each) per household if you requested it. 

I have received two tranches of these. When I tore into the envelope for the first one, I saw that all the tests had expired about 18 months ago. I opened the second envelope and its four tests had expired about a year ago.

When I got my booster last fall, the pharmacist asked if I wanted some at-home tests. Not knowing the ones I had were expired, I said "no I have plenty." However, she insisted I take them, just in case. 

Good thing I did, because I had to resort to one of those for my sniffles incident (test was negative). I note that the other tests in that batch will expire at the end of next month.

What is going on? I checked and the FDA says the tests have a shelf-life of about six months. The tests don't stop working at that time, they just become less accurate. But as I have blogged about before, those tests don't have that great of an accuracy level to begin with, so you don't want to mess around with an expired kit that is even less accurate.

So I have (so far) discarded 16 tests because they are past expiration. This has gotten me wondering whether it was a great idea for the government to just mail these to people like they did. 

After all, they are only needed once you get COVID-19, and in any given six month period, most people do not get COVID-19. That means millions of these tests were sitting around people's homes going bad.

How much did this cost us taxpayers? It seems nobody wants to say, so let's do some back-of-the-envelope calculations. One set of figures in that link said the government paid $2B for 360M tests, which breaks down to $5.26 per test. There have to be another couple bucks in processing and mailing, so let's call it $7.26 per test

I have discarded 16 of these, pegging the cost just for me at $116.16.  Again we don't know the actual numbers, but let's assume about 2 in 3 people requested the tests and had those expire too. That amounts to around $1.5B for tests that were just discarded.

That seems like a huge waste. One wonders why instead of mailing these out the government didn't have a different program that distributed them one-at-a-time, as-needed at pharmacies or grocery stores. 

Under that kind of program I would have consumed only one test in the last 2.5 years instead of 24. Then if I need one in March I could just go get one free rather than buying it, which is what I will have to do now.


Popular posts from this blog

Looks Like Immune Responses are Enduring After All

Another One Bites the Dust

AZ Pandemic Numbers Summary for the Seven Days Ending November 9: Everything is Going South